This Election Has Offended Me
because many politicians violate the norms of democracy, something I had thought all Americans believed it. In an effort to say not just what I’m against but what I’m for, I’ve come up with a nonpartisan list of what these norms are. It may not be complete but is a good summary.
- Based on objective facts
- Arrived at by valid arguments
- The goal is fairness and to do the best for everyone.
Norms of Democracy
- Freedom of speech, religion, and assembly
- Free press
- Right to a fair trial
- Freedom from cruel and unusual punishment
- Government by the will of the people
- Equal opportunity for all (but not necessarily equal outcome)
Isn’t this how we’re supposed to do things in America? This stuff shouldn’t be controversial yet I hear many people advocating positions that fly in the face of these basic values. It is deeply disturbing. If we lose this we’re lost.